[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD 8.x WiFi kernel panic issues on Pentium-M

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jan 26 09:31:41 PST 2011

On 01/26/2011 12:25, Rick wrote:
> On 2011/01/26 8:53, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 01/24/2011 19:44, Rick wrote:
>>> I'm having a wifi issue very similar to the one reported here:
>>> http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/2011-January/004809.html
>>> A short time after enabling wireless networking, the system panics and
>>> reboots.  Each time rc.conf is wiped out.
>>> I've tried i386 PC-BSD 8.1 and 8.2-RC2 and have this problem on two
>>> similar laptops: Dell D610 and HP nc6000.  Both laptops are Pentium-M
>>> class, 1GB RAM, mini-PCI.  I have tried an Intel NIC, Broadcom NIC, and
>>> Ralink NIC with the same results.
>>> Is this a known-issue?  Is there something I can do to help troubleshoot
>>> this problem?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rick
>> This is a known problem in the 8.x series, for whatever reason
>> restarting the wireless networking sometimes causes a kernel panic, and
>> any stuff not synced to disk is lost. FWIW it seems to be fixed/better
>> on 9.
> I'll grab a 9-current snapshot and give it a try.  I haven't had this
> problem with 8.x before, though, and it happens when turning wireless
> networking on for the first time as well as restarting.
> Also this happens every time on these two laptops--it's not an
> intermittent problem.
> Thanks,
> Rick

On my systems here, its kinda hit-n-miss.

A way to confirm this problem is to try simply running "/etc/rc.d/netif
restart" from the console. Do you see a kernel panic happen shortly
after that?

If so, what wifi chipset do you have? It may be worth reporting this to
the FreeBSD PR system.

- --
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (FreeBSD)