[PC-BSD Dev] Alternate pc-controlpanel realization announcement

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 17 06:34:22 PST 2011

On 01/17/2011 05:07, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying implement alternate realization of pc-controlpanel. Work is in
> early stage now, but you can see some results at
> http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/bA5iQShVWr4kHxeJe5cbCb/bA5iQShVWr4kHxeJe5cbCb
>  .
>
> I try to create more flexible and universal tool.
>
> I hope to finish work after few weeks (I have not much time to own projects
> :( )
>
> PS This is my first Qt project, so I whold be happy to see any comments
> about my code.

Very cool!

I've not looked at the code yet, but just reading your page it looks
like this tool would be a good replacement for the controlpanel in 9.

My only concern would be about root privileges. Since the majority of
tools require root access, how do you handle switching to root? I.E. I
don't want to have to enter my root password multiple times when I open
the Software Manager, then the Network Configuration. Is that something
you have considered adding?