[PC-BSD Dev] Release Announcement: 9.0-BETA1
kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Aug 1 14:30:10 PDT 2011
The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of the first
beta release in the new 9.x series. 9.0-BETA1 is now available for
download from www.pcbsd.org.
-- Caution --
This is a BETA release, for early adopters and testers. Please use
caution deploying in production environments. Additionally only a small
number of apps are currently packaged and available in the new AppCafe.
We will be releasing more in the upcoming weeks, but users who rely on a
particular application may wish to wait until 9.0-Release before upgrading.
-- Major Changes --
* Now supports multiple Window Managers, such as:
- KDE 4
- GNOME 2
- XFCE 4
- And many more!
* Support for "meta-pkgs", allowing the user to customize their
installed system with a variety of software.
* Improved PBI system, allows sharing of files / libraries between
applications for reduced disk / runtime space.
* New AppCafe, allow easy browsing, installing and managing Applications
* Updated to the installer, allowing easy setup of ZFS, GELI encryption
* Many improvements to networking setup GUIs
* New system-update utility, support for "freebsd-update" and upgrading
from point-release to point-release. (I.E. 9.0 -> 9.1)
* Revamped "Life-Preserver" backup utility, makes it easier than ever to
backup to FreeNAS or any remote ssh+rsync server.
* New PC-BSD Control Panel, provides one-stop access to a variety of
-- Reporting Bugs --
Since this is a beta release, please feel assist us by reporting and
fixing bugs. Users are encouraged to discuss their findings on the
"Testers" mailing list, or via the PC-BSD Forums.
-- Notes --
There are a greater variety of ways to install PC-BSD in the 9.x series.
Please take a moment and refer to the snapshot documentation to pick the
right one for you.
More information about the Dev