[PC-BSD Dev] Subject: Re: 9.0 Recommendation: partitioning

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Sun Sep 26 11:46:54 PDT 2010

Here's a proposal: let the installer propose the settings according to the user's system. If it's amd64 with sufficient RAM, offer him ZFS, if it's i386 or not enough RAM, offer him UFS+SU+J and explain the pros and cons of having a single or separate partitions.

BTW, I'd say that separate partitions are better when you want to encrypt your hard drive. In most cases it should be enough to encrypt /home and swap.