[PC-BSD Dev] Helping out

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Oct 25 13:29:25 PDT 2010

On 10/24/2010 23:27, Jared Barneck wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I would like to help out in my spare time (which isn't much but it is better
> than nothing).
>
>    1. Is there a document for building a development environment?
>    2. Is there a specific IDE that is commenly used? I see .pro files but I
>    am not familiar with that extension, though inside they look similar to make
>    files.
>
> I am interested in working on the pcbsd-netmanager to start with, since I
> have been testing that some lately.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jared
> http://rhyous.com

Jared,

Glad to help you get digging into the source code.

There's only some basic info on our trac wiki right now about getting
source and such:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/wiki/Developers

As for an IDE, I personally just use "vim" for editing source, then for
any QT UI design I use 'designer-qt4' to modify the .ui files. The .pro
file is a type of make file used by "qmake-qt4" which, in turn creates
the working Makefile you expect. So for example, you would run
"qmake-qt4 pc-netmanager.pro", and that would spit out a Makefile, then
you can run "make && make install" to do the actual compile.

Here's some good docs on qmake if you are curious as to how it works:

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qmake-manual.html

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate!

- --