[PC-BSD Dev] CD version

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 4 06:09:15 PDT 2010

On 08/03/2010 19:12, Gerard van Essen wrote:
> All,
>
> Will there be a CD version for PC-BSD 9.0?
>
> I've installed PC-BSD 8.0 and 8.1 on a number of PC's that didn't have
> a DVD drive. I ended up buying a DVD drive for one and installing the
> OS over the internet on the other PC's. It took most of the night to
> download it, which is OK, but many people of or a slow connection or
> have a monthly download cap. With a 3 Gb download that's quickly
> broken or it eats into one's download allowance.
>
> USB installation is slow and older PC's don't boot up from USB.
>
> For further adoption of PC-BSD I think we need a CD version too (even
> if it's a smaller and limited version)
>
> Cheers
>
> Gerard

Gerard,

That may be a possibility with 9.0. We're going to be adding support for
kde4/gnome/xfce/enlightement as window managers, and if kde4/gnome wont
fit on a single CD, then perhaps we'll make the CD version with xfce4 or
some other WM. (With the option to install KDE4 / gnome post-install via
the net of course)