[PC-BSD Dev] installer comments

Johann Hugo jhugo at meraka.csir.co.za
Wed Sep 23 01:10:50 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 23 September 2009, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> (By the way, how does it know the menu names? I can't see documented
> and don't understand boot0cfg.c well enough.)
>
> >       19) Detected my Radeon Xpress 200M, but has "vesa". I chose
> >       apply for
> >       default. Why do the X test, if the display is unchanged? (I
> >       didn't
> >       change from the defaults.)
> >
> > X tests for other cards, where driver can be determined more exactly.
>
> In my case, X was already running. I never changed default (as far as I
> know), and it asked if could restart X, then restarted X, prompted if
> okay, then restarted X again. A waste of time, if I never changed the
> defaults.
>
> On that note, it had chosen "vesa". But I have no way to easily know
> what other one to even try (without googling from other system :)

Another comment:
On the five (old) PC's I've installed PCBSD so far, I had to reboot into
single user mode and use "Xorg -configure" to get a good working xorg.conf. I
see from the Xorg man page that this method has problems on some platforms,
but for me it worked better than the PCBSD method.

I'm also wondering how many users actually knows what graphics card they have
installed and know what X driver will work best for them, it's almost an
advanced setting.

Johann