[PC-BSD Dev] Experience with Intel based graphics cards (also note about xorg-server 1.6)

Pete pheet at pheet.awardspace.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 11:27:20 PDT 2009

Hiya,

> My personal laptop is a 965  intel

I feel your pain! :-)

X.org is really top of my sh*tlist at the moment.  Performance issues I
could live with a while, it's the stability problems that's the real
annoyance, as the graphics driver is one of the few things that can crash
the whole system, as we know.

Experimental code is all good & fine, but it needs to be clearly labeled
as such and go in ports as -devel, not as a damn release.  It's so bad
with the intel driver at the moment that they've written a special
debug/crash logging tool called intel_gpu_dump.  However, it appears only
to be available from a git repository (
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools ), and I've no
idea yet if it'll compile on FreeBSD (my cynical mind suspects not).

 From what I can tell, the main advice they're giving at the moment is to
disable dri.  May as well use the vesa driver in that case.

I've just found something that may possibly be interesting:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/drm-intel-061509.patch

It's dated 15. June, and as 2.7.1 is dated 13 May, it may be worth
trying....

Best wishes,

//Pheet