[PC-BSD Dev] Experience with Intel based graphics cards (also note about xorg-server 1.6)

Pete pheet at pheet.awardspace.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 06:06:17 PDT 2009

Hi Devs,

I've been having "interesting times" with a intel 945G based graphics
card, which I've posted here:

It may be worth considering that PCBSD's xorg configurator adds options
such as

Option  "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

when the user selects intel with 3d.  Also consider installing driconf as
part of the base PCBSD install.

Longterm, the solution is to hope for a decent quality driver from

Incidently, my possible resolutions weren't correctly detected (on install
(7.1) defaulted to 1024x768), but I believe this is a problem with the
driver, not PCBSD.

Also, by the way, xorg-server 1.6 now disables the ctrl-alt-bs by default,
so when PCBSD upgrades (7.2 release?), I strongly recommend adding:

Option "DontZap" "false"

to serverflags to maintain the current behaviour (i.e. we can kill the

// Pheet