[PC-BSD Dev] Questions

Robert Swain rob at biffthemonkey.com
Tue Sep 16 19:05:12 PDT 2008

A.Y. wrote:
> Kris Moore пишет:
>
>> A.Y. wrote:
>>

>>> So, what structure of service settings did you chose?
>>> And what are our dev-plans?
>>> Currently I'm looking into plasmoids, want to make post-your-bug one :)
>>>

>> Here's a thought. What about having the GUI simply check if there is a
>> settings.sh script, and when the user clicks "settings", it launches
>> that script? That settings.sh script could in turn call a python-qt
>> script, which handles all the GUI elements, or even a binary settings
>> program, depending upon whatever the user wants. That would give us
>> flexibility, and allow developers to make simple or very complex
>> settings dialogs, depending upon their needs.
>>
>> We can still try to implement our own UI scheme, but the trouble is
>> that we'll probably run into cases where it doesn't do "everything" a
>> developer may want to add, when they could simply use an existing
>> language for it.
>>

> Great idea, but I think that most cases for services our system could
> (and should) cover.
> Ten services, ten settings, same looking, same style = usability;
> Ten services, ten settings and all looks very different (even if they
> only switch places for "yes" "no" to "no" "yes" "apply", or even "help"
> "yes" "cancel") = not cool;
>
> But for some very rare and specific settings why not start
> developer-defined script? I have now no idea what couldn't be covered by
> our scheme, but I agree - in some cases developer-scripted-settings
> would be normal.

Why not have the settings.sh method outlined by Kris and take care of
the the usability and aesthetics problem mentioned by publishing a
standard settings.sh template which a developer would use as a
guideline. Developers would start with this template and customize only
what needs to be changed for their service.