[PC-BSD Dev] Questions

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 16 08:10:11 PDT 2008

A.Y. wrote:

> So, what structure of service settings did you chose?
> And what are our dev-plans?
> Currently I'm looking into plasmoids, want to make post-your-bug one :)

Here's a thought. What about having the GUI simply check if there is a
settings.sh script, and when the user clicks "settings", it launches
that script? That settings.sh script could in turn call a python-qt
script, which handles all the GUI elements, or even a binary settings
program, depending upon whatever the user wants. That would give us
flexibility, and allow developers to make simple or very complex
settings dialogs, depending upon their needs.

We can still try to implement our own UI scheme, but the trouble is that
we'll probably run into cases where it doesn't do "everything" a
developer may want to add, when they could simply use an existing
language for it.

http://www.pcbsd.com