[PC-BSD Dev] Building a test system from source

Robert Swain rob at biffthemonkey.com
Thu Oct 16 17:16:03 PDT 2008

Developers,

I am new to BSD and programming in general, so this may contain some
silly questions. While inexperienced, I am motivated to learn by
actually participating in a development project. Having tried many
Windows alternatives, I found that I like PC-BSD the best, and have been
using it regularly since the release of 1.4 (first tried it back at the
original release). I am interested in eventually contributing to the
project. I am too busy for the rest of October to be able to devote any
significant time to it, but would like to start dabbling when I have a
moment. On that note, I would like to know how to build a system using
the current source code rather than waiting for a new release. How to
contribute back anything more than feedback on bugs to the Testing list
will have to wait until November.

Some areas I would be interested in eventually contributing to would be
easy management of servers (by PBI development, which I've started
playing with, and by something more integrated with the system like the
Services menu or allowing a setting for user webspace in System
Settings), multimedia and control programs for home-theater use (HTPC
oriented usage like MythTV or Freevo while maintaining the PC-BSD base
for normal computer usage), mass distribution/installation/management
solutions to enable IT departments to easily use PC-BSD on all of their
institution's workstations (for schools, companies, and government
agencies), and possibly finding a way for PBIs to work better with
programs installed via Ports.

Sincerely,
Robert Swain