[PC-BSD Dev] installcd-overlay

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Mar 18 11:00:49 PST 2008

John,

I'll be happy to help you with this.

All these scripts and everything in /usr actually are kept in uzipped
file located on the CD at "/uzip/usr.uzip". What happens, is that when
you boot the PC-BSD install cd, it mounts the CD, then creates a
ramdisk, and copies the /uzip/usr.uzip file into memory. Then it
unmounts the CD, mounts the usr.uzip file to /usr, and continues with
the boot process. This enables us to do CD switching, and is why you can
eject the CD after the boot, since its not mounted anymore.

If you take a look at /etc/rc on the install CD mfsroot, you'll see how
its done.

Also, I would be interested in your PXE boot stuff. How difficult was it
to do? I would like to add that ability to the PC-BSD distro down the
road. Maybe we can work together and integrate it in for a future release.

http://www.pcbsd.com