[PC-BSD Dev] installcd-overlay

John Hixson john at pcbsd.org
Tue Mar 18 10:50:50 PST 2008

Hi Guys,

I am trying to understand the PC-BSD install process. I see all the
PC-BSD install scripts located under installcd-overlay, however, on the
ISO image these are nowhere to be found. I looked at the mfsroot as well
and I see in the /root/.login and /root/.profile a reference to
/root/PCBSDStart.sh , which in turn starts various scripts from
/usr/local/pcbsd. I do not see or have /usr/local/pcbsd, can someone
explain this to me?

I looked at the roadmap and saw the need to roll out lots of pc-bsd
machines easily and decided to work on this. I have PC-BSD loading with
freebsd's PXE bootloader, however, as soon as mfsroot is mounted
numerous files are missing and I am trying to understand what PC-BSD
does during the boot process to get this resolved.

Is it ok if I work on this? If so, anyone care to explain some more of
what the CD does that I seem to be missing in a little more detail?

Thanks,
John