[PC-BSD Dev] 1.5rc2 Testing

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Mar 6 10:15:49 PST 2008

> Go ahead and download the new cut from the URL below, and let me know of
> any other major issues discovered!

(I am not on all these lists, but I cc'd them all.)

I already reported some issues for 1.4 at
http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/public/2008-February/000011.html

Your 1.5rc2 has some of the same issues:

1) Quick Tips still has fifth line chopped even if resize window. This is
important for aesthetics but more importantly explanations that are
important for certain parts of install are not seen. For example during
"System Update / Repair" you can't read about it since over four lines.)

2) Timezones still locality based (which is fine) but not wide enough to
show all details. Please make wider. And please also add choices for
timezone codes also (like "CST -0600", "PST -0800", "GMT +0000", etc.).

3) Formatting of licenses still wrong. Either preformat it for the narrow
width or have your display properly format.

4) No explanation for Intel Firmware and NVIDIA licenses. Why? Can they be
bypassed/not installed/not loaded?

5) Maybe "Quick Tips" is wrongly named. Some items are not "Quick Tips"
but are important notes. Maybe just rename to "Notes" or just get rid of
that header all together.

6) During an Upgrade, Quick Tips says "Any FreeBSD packages installed will
be removed and new packages will be installed." Where are they reinstalled
from? The two CDs can't possibly hold all packages. And why remove FreeBSD
packages if there is not newer versions? (Maybe it doesn't and just the
"Quick Tips" is wrong?)

7) Maybe the Setup Complete! screen should say version (like "1.5rc2").
And maybe should indicate an Upgrade was done if that was chosen.

8) When I rebooted, it no longer had a splash screen -- but just showed
the normal FreeBSD kernel and rc startup messages scrolling by.

9) And a suggestion: patch or configure kdialog to never say "KDialog" on
the window title bar.

  Jeremy C. Reed