[PC-BSD Dev] Test of PBI Installer V4

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Jan 9 09:11:46 PST 2008

Hey everybody!

I just wanted to see if anybody would be willing to test out the new
features of the PBI installer version 4. I've created a sample PBI of
Wormux using this new version:

http://www.pcbsd.org/~kris/Wormux0.7.9-PV1.pbi

Here's whats changed with V4:
--------------

* The installer has a new wizard page, which does two things:
   - Allows you to specify the installation directory for your application
   - Displays the required disk space for the app, and available on your
partition

* Used an internal MD5 checksum to confirm the package data is good

* The try icon is now set to the default icon for the application during
    the installation process.

-------------

What I really need tested the most is the space checker, and installing
to different partitions. I've tested it out a bit here, but I don't have
a lot of different systems to try it out on :) The installer should be
smart enough to not let you choose an invalid or non-writable directory.
I also don't allow some directories such as /tmp, /dev, /boot to be used.

Anyway, please let me know what you find while playing with this
application. Once any bugs are fixed, I will work on a release of it,
and use this version on the PBI auto-build server. Also, I will be
uploading the translation files to Pootle, and letting our translators
know to take a crack at translation as well.

Thanks!

http://www.pcbsd.com