[PC-BSD Dev] Sound Card Detection

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:39:16 PST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 5:48 AM, carlos antonio neira bustos

<cneirabustos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a little comparison between old method and the new :
>
> this is just the search for the module :
>  Old  sound_detect  :
>
>  sound_detect.sh  0.00s user 0.02s system 88% cpu 0.019 total
>
> New sound_detect :
>
> sound_detect       0.00s user 0.00s system 80% cpu 0.004 total

> Full run (searching and loading the module )
>
>  Old sound_detect :
>
> sound_detect.sh  0.00s user 1.02s system 98% cpu 1.037 total
>
> New sound_detect :
>
> sound_detect        0.00s user 1.01s system 99% cpu 1.016 total
>
>  Just loading the module manually if we know which one to load
>
> kldload snd_ich  0.00s user 1.01s system 99% cpu 1.018 total
>

> results may vary , but i think the timing for the new method is pretty good
> !

Nice results, just a quick comment from me about the whole sound detection
thing. I'm just wondering maybe if it would make sense to have a sound detection
script that checks for a /dev/dsp. If there is no /dev/dsp, then it:
1) Loads the appropriate sound module
2) echo "snd_NAME_load="YES"" >> /boot/loader.conf

Just wondering if maybe that would speed things up a little?

To Tim & Kris: I go away on camp for 2 months, come back and find
that you have started using LZMA compression and a super cool pbi
recipe generator. Nice :)

Cheers
Federico

PS) That PBI generator is really really really cool