[PC-BSD Dev] New sound detection method

Tim McCormick tim at pcbsd.org
Thu Jan 3 04:38:16 PST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:13:00 -0300, "carlos antonio neira bustos"
<cneirabustos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings :
>
> i have commited the code for the xml based  sound autodetection , ill
make
> some changes because the current code depends on vendor strings instead
of
> hex codes ,so we cannot add vendors to the xml without modification of
the
> source code, ill fix it right away. Im doubtfull of including a fetch
> routine in the same app to get newer xmls definitions from the update
> server, because it will add a couple of seconds in the worst case at
> bootup
> , i think it would be better to include a crontab for this matter so we
> keep
> bootup fast and soundcards.xml current.
> So  sound detection only needs more testing , but is basically finished ,
> apart from  calling it at bootup .is there other topics to work on that
> are
> showstoppers or another enhancement ? C code related would be fine. i was
> thinking backporting some wifi drivers from freebsd 7 to 6.2 but 7  is so
> close that maybe it would be a waste of time.
> ill start looking ticket  #70  md5dum on cds at install , it should be
> short  , but im interested in looking at wine .but i think we should
focus
> on present problems .
> one ticket i cannot understand is ticket #46  improve  bootup time , it
> means at default install only make it fast for a default install right?
> some  sample data for  this would be nice.
>
> Coordially Carlos Neira

Hey Carlos, and welcome to the team!

Noticed you put the source files for your sound detection application into
the system-overlay SVN directory. system-overlay is only for files we want
to end up on the filesystem unchanged. Applications which need compiling
should go in their own directory. I'd suggest pcbsd/trunk/soundDetect :)
The XML file should probably stay where you put it though.

Looking forward to checking it out when I get back to my development
machine next week!

--
Tim McCormick
PC-BSD Lead Developer