[PC-BSD Dev] New sound detection method

carlos antonio neira bustos cneirabustos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 19:13:00 PST 2008

Greetings :

i have commited the code for the xml based  sound autodetection , ill make
some changes because the current code depends on vendor strings instead of
hex codes ,so we cannot add vendors to the xml without modification of the
source code, ill fix it right away. Im doubtfull of including a fetch
routine in the same app to get newer xmls definitions from the update
server, because it will add a couple of seconds in the worst case at bootup
, i think it would be better to include a crontab for this matter so we keep
bootup fast and soundcards.xml current.
So  sound detection only needs more testing , but is basically finished ,
apart from  calling it at bootup .is there other topics to work on that are
showstoppers or another enhancement ? C code related would be fine. i was
thinking backporting some wifi drivers from freebsd 7 to 6.2 but 7  is so
close that maybe it would be a waste of time.
ill start looking ticket  #70  md5dum on cds at install , it should be
short  , but im interested in looking at wine .but i think we should focus
on present problems .
one ticket i cannot understand is ticket #46  improve  bootup time , it
means at default install only make it fast for a default install right?
some  sample data for  this would be nice.

Coordially Carlos Neira