[PC-BSD Dev] Testing PC-BSD 1.5

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Feb 28 14:13:16 PST 2008

1.5 is just around the corner, and I've just finished uploading a "test"
version of PC-BSD 1.5:

*********************************

ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/1.5rc1/

MD5 (PCBSD-1.5rc1-x86-CD2.iso) = 4853fe7934cff596bc25f08afd078e46
MD5 (PCBSD-1.5rc1-x86.iso) = b480fbe4dc999ef00afc17cda3749aec

**********************************

This version is very stable already, probably better than 1.4 at it's
release. I will be testing the online update system over the next few
days also, so don't be alarmed if you see some "test" patches and stuff
show up in the new updater. Right now if you install 1.5rc1 and Firefox,
it will show an online update to Firefox 2.0.0.13. This is for testing
purposes only, 2.0.0.13 isn't out yet, but it will actually download +
install 2.0.0.12 instead. Feel free to try it out!

Let me know of any major bugs still present in the system. Also of note,
I've disabled the vesa splash screen for this release. I've found that
it actually causes problems with various video cards not being able to
start / run X properly.

I will also be uploading the 64bit version of 1.5 for testing tomorrow.
I'm just finishing up fixing a few minor bugs on it.

Please give these releases a quick run-through. Since 1.5 is pretty
stable, I hope to release it here in the very near future. Here's a
quick-list of some of the new features:

* Xorg 7.3
* KDE 3.5.8
* FreeBSD 6.3 Release
* Latest ports as of 2-22-08
* NEW System Updater tool - Keeps system & PBIs up to date - Allows
override variables, so that admins can use their own mirrors / servers
to roll out updates to users.
* Improvements to WiFi tool, BSSID support and better SSID support
* Improvements to the PBI Removal tool - Remove a list of PBIs at a time
* NEW sound detection program! Uses XML backend to identify and load modules
* NEW amd64 build of 1.5, including PBI that are on our auto-build server
* NEW PBI icon preview library, now a PBI file shows the icon embedded
in it on your desktop, not the generic "PBI" format icon

http://www.pcbsd.com