[PC-BSD Dev] Dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 3

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Thu Dec 4 10:24:36 PST 2008

Eric Nicholson wrote:

> If you are talking simply having 32 / 64bit files being executed, then
> can't you just just include the 32/64 libs that are required?
>
> As far as booting a 32/64 kernel, I think a sufficent loader.conf
> file could handle a kernel choice, as long as the libs are there
> to support 32/64 environemnt, then either should work.

Yea, it is possible, but where we run into problems is that we would
have to juggle files around everywhere, essentially duplicating
everything for 32 / 64 on the file-system. For example, we would need a
/lib and /lib64, a /usr/local and a /usr/local64, etc. I think that
would cause more confusion than its worth :)

But if the user had 3 partitions, one for amd64, i386 and then "home" it
may be a lot more consistent of a choice. We'd have to do some playing
with it to see how it works.

>>> 3. If we have 2gb installation image for usb, why not create 5-6Gb image
>>> of already installed PC-BSD, useage will be the same, dd to usb stick,
>>> and we have live sluggish system :)
>>> BTW, for DVD-live system we need writeable /home/user && /tmp, is this
>>> all? could we make it too in 4,3Gb?
>> I think it would be possible to do that, have a pre-built usb image
>> which can be copied with dd to a media, and booted from. As for DVD, its
>> a bit different, since we may need to do a uzip compressed FS to load
>> from disk, so there's enough room for it all. Maybe even do the same
>> thing with the USB media, so you can fit it into a 4GB USB stick or
>> something.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my research, to boot from USB the USB
> stick/flash drive would need to have  a VFAT ( DOS ) filesystem for
> the system bios
> to recognize the USB stick/flash as a boot device then intialize the
> boot process.
>
> Is this possible in PC-BSD at the moment?
>
> Having a bootable USB stick/flash drive would be very nice!

Actually we do offer the USB installer images for PC-BSD, and they don't
use VFAT at all, just regular UFS :)

The system BIOS just see's the USB as a regular disk drive, and loads
the MBR as normal, then that in turn calls the kernel, etc :)

http://www.pcbsd.com