[PC-BSD Dev] Meeting && questions

A.Y. yerenkow at uct.ua
Tue Dec 2 03:54:33 PST 2008

Hello all! how about make a small meeting-talk on irc at this week?
I'm free to any time.

And I have some questions.

1. Remember we were discussing about making smart gui "settings editor
for services" based on some definition? Is anyone looks into?
I thought about this, we could make a very general-use GUI for any
configuration files, that could be useful in future;
Currently I'm planning a project which will make a listener to
filesystem, and will trace all changes to specific files; after
file-change, check for syntax, validate, if validator provided, store it
to VCS, propose to user give a label (optional). So, syntax &&
validation part will be a kind of similar to settings options
definition. My goal - "user edit xorg.conf (or whatever), makes there
some mistake, save and - he see alert about syntax error;" or other case -
he changed same xorg.conf, boot unsuccessfull, he see text-based
interface and can choose right-one old saved version;

2. Is technically possible such thing: on same FS have both i386 &&
amd64 files, for example
/boot32 /bin32, /lib32, /libexec32...
/boot64 /bin64, /lib64, /libexec64...

and while booting choose one or other kernel?
if make changes in /etc/login.conf and whatever :)

Or, if this isn't possible - how about make two partition for both 32 &
64 versions root and one partition for home?

3. If we have 2gb installation image for usb, why not create 5-6Gb image
of already installed PC-BSD, useage will be the same, dd to usb stick,
and we have live sluggish system :)
BTW, for DVD-live system we need writeable /home/user && /tmp, is this
all? could we make it too in 4,3Gb?

4. About wine && gaming, did you guys thought about specific wine build
included in system, which will be updated a bit rarely?

5. new AsusEEEs have specific ethernet;
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-all/2008-November/001172.html
Here are patch to src with driver.
I don't know how automated all system builds on server, so question is:
Is this possible to build patched kernel, and make it in PBIformat, or
in plain archive, and put it on pbidir.com, so users could test it?

Meeting, meeting, we need meeting :D