[PC-BSD Dev] Plans for 1.4 and Status Update

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Fri Jun 8 09:45:00 PDT 2007

Hey all,

First, an Update for the 1.4 ISO's. Tonight for Friday's ISO's, there
will be a few major changes. I've updated the installer code to the new
1.4 version, which streamlines the process a bit, and also adds a new
"Select Components" page. This allows you to install things such as KDE
Games, KOffice, KDE SDK, basically all the major KDE packages. We will
also add a few other items to this list soon, such as Opera, which we
have an agreement to distribute. Opera will be installed as PBI, so we
are not responsible for the maintenance of it, but the user can still
have it as the default browser.

I've also fixed bugs when upgrading from previous OS's, fixed issues
changing keyboard layouts and more. Here's some of the major things we
still need to finish:

* Merge FireWall manager into Network Utility
* Update Add / Remove Components GUI to prompt for CD 2 to install from.
* Tweak installed base OS, style, bugfixes, etc.
* Translate our tools & GUI's into all the various languages.
  ( This will be started once we "freeze" the UI elements for each GUI)

Here's the timetable I want to use for this version.

* July 1st, have a public "beta / preview release"
* July 2nd-20th, roll internal RC's
* July 25th(ish) release 1.4-Final.

Also, I will be out of town, this Sunday the 10th, through the 14th. I
will have E-mail with my blackberry the whole time, so I'll try to reply
to anything going on. Also, the ISO's will be building as usual next
week, so if you find bugs, or want to make tweaks to the base system,
you can do so in SVN as usual.

http://www.pcbsd.com