[PC-BSD Announce] PC-BSD 10.0-RC5 now available!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jan 23 16:36:23 PST 2014

The next PC-BSD 10.0-RELEASE-p4 image (Based upon FreeBSD 10.0-RC5) is now available for download!

This will likely be our LAST RC before issuing the 10.0-FINAL release in a week or so. Please report any outstanding issues to our bug database below.

*** NOTE to users of 10.0-RC4 or earlier ***

Due to an ABI change in FreeBSD between RC4-RC5 you will need to re-install *all* packages and PBIs after updating the world/kernel to RC5.

To update your packages, you can do so with the following command:

# pkg-static upgrade -f

NOTE: This is best done immediately following the freebsd-update fetch / install process, before rebooting into RC5.

Once your desktop / server is updated, you can then update your PBIs via the "AppCafe" utility or using pbi_delete / pbi_add.

We are still finishing up a number of the newly-rebuilt RC5 PBIs, so if a particular application is not yet in the AppCafe, please check back in a day or two.

This image is still a pre-release version of the upcoming 10.0-RELEASE. Use caution when deploying upon production systems.

Online updating to 10.0-RELEASE is now available for testing on 9.2-RELEASE systems. To get started, first ensure that your packages and world/kernel are up to date, and then follow these instructions:

After making this change, the "pc-updatemanager branches" command will show the new 10.0-RELEASE branch as available for updating.

10.0-RELEASE notable features

* Includes FreeBSD 10.0-RC5
* Updated KMS / AMD driver support
* ISO file is a hybrid USB file, and can be "dd"ed to a USB media.
* New text-based installer
* New UEFI loader on installation media
* Able to select between GRUB/BSD loaders during installation
* New desktops! Gnome 3, Mate (Replaces Gnome2) and Cinnamon
* And much more!

Reporting Issues

Found a bug? Please report it, in as much detail as possible, to our Trac database: