[PC-BSD Announce] Happy New Year from PC-BSD!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jan 7 12:08:06 PST 2008

Happy New year to all!

I wanted to post a brief message to our users and developers, thanking
them for their support over the last year, and offering a few peeks into
what we are planning for '08.

First of all we are eagerly awaiting the release of KDE 4 and FreeBSD 7,
and will start on a new version of PC-BSD based on these sometime in the
months after their release. Also, we plan on a 1.5 release based on
FreeBSD 6.3 and KDE 3.5.8, which will be the last release in the 1.x
series. We also plan on releasing a 64 bit native version of PC-BSD
starting with version 1.5. This version will also have its own set of 64
bit PBIs to ensure that users can run their applications natively, as
they should be.

Also in the next few weeks an update to the PBI creator will be
released, which will offer a few new features, such as being able to
choose a different install location for their applications. We are also
busy working on an update to PBIDir, which will make it easier to
monitor and install the latest PBIs. This along with our new PBI
Auto-Building system will help ensure that PBIs are up to date, and
often available in 24-48 hours after the related port has been updated
in the ports tree.

We are looking forward to another year of leaps forward in PC-BSD
usability and power, and hope everybody enjoys the improvements!

PC-BSD Founder